Design in Motion: the 4th Annual Seattle Design Festival From Sept. 5 to 19
Mark Your Calendars for the 4th Annual Seattle Design Festival
From , there will be a little something dazzling for everyone
Seattle – June 12, 2014
This year marks the fourth annual Seattle Design Festival, th. The Seattle Design Festival is the largest design-related event in the Pacific Northwest, bringing together designers, businesses, families, community groups and tourists alike to playfully explore all the diverse and meaningful ways design makes life better. This year’s theme, Design in Motion, will take on all creative interpretations—from mobility to kinetics and everything in between. All events will be open to the public and many programs will be free. Some highlights include:
· Kick-off Party at Tether Inc. A gathering of Seattle’s design community will kick-off the start of the Festival. Food and libations available. Tickets available at the door. 316 Occidental Ave S #400.
· SDF Block Party. Presenting design installations, demonstrations, activities, workshops, exhibits, and tours and featuring nine installations from this year’s SDF Rumble challenge.
o SDF Rumble. This year, we invited Seattle designers to participate in the SDF Rumble, a collaborative workshop to rapidly generate ideas for installations to be constructed for the Seattle Design Festival. Designers joined up with contractors and program partners to offer up bold interpretations of the Design in Motion theme. Come interact with the SDF Rumble installations at the SDF Block Party.
Families welcome and encouraged. Suggested donation. Occidental Plaza in Pioneer Square, 310 Occidental Ave South. , .
· SDF Conference. Engage with design luminaries and community leaders in this unique mixing of disciplines and intersecting fields as they gather to unpack the Festival theme, “Design in Motion.” Panel discussions, lectures and workshops. Free and open to the public. Seattle Public Library Central Branch. , .
· SDF Partner Programs. Participate in SDF Partner Programs: films, panels, lectures, exhibits, activities, workshops, tours, installations and more. Some events will be ticketed. Citywide. . See www.designinpublic.org for details.
· Park(ing) Day. In partnership with Park(ing) Day International, Seattleites will build temporary parklets in ordinary parking places. Organized tours by bike will take place. Citywide and worldwide. . See www.designinpublic.org for details.
· Closing Party. Decelerate and celebrate with Seattle’s design community to bring the Festival to a close. Food, libations, live-music, dancing and spectacular waterfront views. Open to the public. Tickets available at the door. DLR Group, 51 University St. Suite 600. , evening.
ABOUT THE SEATTLE DESIGN FESTIVAL
Since 2011, the Seattle Design Festival has been presented by Design in Public and AIA Seattle in collaboration with dozens of partner organizations. The Festival is now the largest design-related event in the Pacific Northwest. Festival attendance over the last four years has nearly tripled; it has grown from 3,200 visitors in 2011, 5,600 visitors in 2012, and nearly 7,000 visitors in 2013. This year, we are projecting 10,000 visitors at the festival. The Seattle Design Festival’s programs and partners grew from 40 programs hosted by 24 partner organizations in 2012, to 70 programs hosted by 37 partner organizations in 2013. In years past, the Festival has offered a wide variety of programs including talks, tours, films, exhibitions, site-specific installations, family- and kid-oriented programs, workshops, games, hands-on making, craft, and more.
Seattle Design Festival themes:
- 2011: Beneath the Surface of Design
- 2012: Engage your World
- 2013: Design in Health
- 2014: Design in Motion
ABOUT DESIGN IN PUBLIC
Design in Public celebrates all the ways that design makes life better for Seattle. We nurture relationships among designers, citizens, city leaders, and future-thinking business innovators. We catalyze change by supporting imagination, vision and participation in the creation of the place we all want to live. (www.designinpublic.org).
About AIA Seattle
AIA Seattle, a chapter of the American Institute of Architects, provides the architecture community with resources and relationships to make a difference through design. AIA Seattle is the eighth largest urban component of the American Institute of Architects, with members throughout the Puget Sound area.